Lemon Cookies (Slightly altered from Real Simple)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more if necessary
- 4 teaspoons divided grated lemon zest
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add the egg yolks, vanilla, and salt and beat to combine. Add 2 teaspoons of the grated lemon zest. Gradually add the flour, mixing until just incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into 1 1/4-inch-diameter logs. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate until firm, about an hour. I usually make my dough the night before and keep it in the fridge till the next day.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Slice the logs into 3/8-inch-thick pieces and space them 1 1/2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden, 16 to 20 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons of zest until it forms a thick but pourable glaze (add more lemon juice if necessary). Dip the top of each cookie into the glaze and let set, about 15 minutes.Enjoy!
I bake these for my Mike, they are one of his favorites.ReplyDelete
Those are really cute boxes!
I love Leon cookies, and Jose look incredible! Did you make the boxes too?ReplyDelete
I adore these cookies! :)ReplyDelete
I was just looking for something sweet to take to a coffee date tomorrow! Perfect. (I also made your Mom's banana bread last week and since those were SO delicious I am even more excited to try these!)ReplyDelete
Did you make the bags?
ooh, those were a favorite in my house and last time you made them for us the hubby was deployed so I didn't even have to share (who are we kidding, if I could hide them in time I didn't share them even when he was home!). I think you should test out how they ship and send some my way :)ReplyDelete
Can't wait to try these!!ReplyDelete
Yum. Reminds me of my granny who always made me lemon cookies. Thanks for the recipe!ReplyDelete
These look delicious Kristin!! :-) I will need to try them soon. Hope you are well!ReplyDelete