Pages

Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Roasted Beet Salad With Gorgonzola and Pumpkin Seeds


I used to be a beet hater,
I loathed beets....
At salad buffets I would skip over the pickled things.

But this recipe is sooooo different.
We are not talking about boiled, pickled, completely disrespected beets.
I promise you!

Be brave, try this! 
Shockingly enough the kids even loved it!


Let's start with the fact that beets should only be roasted.
I know I'm being pretty intense about this.
But truly, roasting is the key to a good beet.
It's maintains the flavor and color in a way that only roasting can.
No more boiling beets people!

Roasted Beet Salad With Gorgonzola and Pumpkin Seeds 
(adapted from the cookbook Earth to Table)
Serves 6

4lbs of beets (mixed colors if possible)
1/2 cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 shallot, thinly sliced
4oz gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup packed baby arugula leaves
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and scrub whole beets, leaving about a half inch of stem on them. Place in a large roasting pan with 2 tablespoons of water. Brush the beets with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover the pan with foil and roast in the oven for at least 40 minutes. My beets took 1 hour and 20 minutes! When you can pierce them with a fork they are done. Once roasted, let the beets cool down a bit and then remove their skins with your fingers and slice into wedges. 

In a separate bowl, mix the olive oil, vinegar, honey and shallot. Toss in the beets and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. 

When ready to serve, strain the beets and place them on a large platter. Top with the arugula, gorgonzola and pumpkin seeds. Add a bit of salt and pepper  and you're ready to serve!

*Another option is to serve this dish warm, which is how my kiddos preferred it. Follow the recipe above, but instead of refrigerating the beets in the dressing mixture, give them a few good tosses and then drain the beets off. Quickly mix in the gorgonzola, arugula and pumpkin seeds and toss everything to incorporate. The cheese will melt a bit, giving the dish a decadent creaminess. Serve immediately. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds super yummy! I am excited to try it, but if I'm being honest, I don't think I even know what a beet looks like...lol! I never grew up even seeing them in the house and I've never looked for them in the store before. I honestly didn't even know they came in different colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks delicious! thanks for a great dish to make :)

    ReplyDelete