Pages

Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Tuesday Laugh & Thought

Last week my SIL and I took the boys to the local Children's Museum. It was incredible and I'll show you some more pictures in a separate post. Today though, I wanted to share these pictures for two reasons: one, I think they are hilarious - the boy at the cash register has a face for TV, and two, it is a topic that has been coming up a lot for my friends and me lately - conflict resolution between preschoolers.

So here's the background to go with the pictures. Will was playing in the supermarket area of the museum; he gathered groceries and made his way to the checkout. As his items were being scanned the question of a price check popped up. I kid you not! The two boys were in complete disagreement on the price of the orange juice. No yelling, no pushing, just firm discussion.


I was two steps away and decided to let it play out a bit, but before I could take a second breath another woman (I'm assuming his mom) swooped in, hovered and fluttered and shooed both boys in different directions and then gave me a disapproving look! Am I wrong that it bugged me? Obviously if there was  some yelling or swinging taking place I would have jumped in but they were working it out! Maybe I'm just super sensitive about this but lately it seems that everywhere I go moms are jumping in before giving their kids a chance to work out their differences - not even attempting to modeling it to them.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I just thought the pictures were funny and I think our kids should be taught at an early age how to work disagreements out between each other. That's really it. If you want to read a much more well written and hilarious post you should check out Durango Mom. Enjoy your Tuesday! I'll be referring two little men on this drizzly day!

2 comments:

  1. You were not wrong at all! And I completely agree with you that kids need to learn to work things out. With my kids as close as they are I often feel like I need a referee uniform because they do not even try to come to compromise, they just come running to me! I very much look forward to the day when I don't have to be in the middle of every disagreement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did the right thing friend! It's so hard to create these types of situations as teachable moments, so when they arise naturally, by all means the kids should be given the chance to work it out! That kids mom, unfortunately, is probably going to be the same one that when her kid does something wrong at school, she is going to blame everyone else instead of allowing her child to take responsibility for his actions. Modeling is the only way kids learn and it's very effective. You're doing great momma! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete