Pages

Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Reality Check

Motherhood is by far the most fulfilling and exhausting role I've played thus far in my little life. There are days where I want to soak up every second of these tiny little lives I'm in charge of and then there are days where I look up to the heavens and ask God to just get me to bedtime. Can I get an amen?? I'm in love with it all but often times I find myself fully depleted, realizing I'm only at the beginning of this journey! I have many sources I draw upon to fill me up and steady me on this ride called motherhood. My time with God is first and foremost, my mother is always a call away (I'm still in awe of my childhood and all she did), my incredible friends near and far who are in the trenches with me, and my husband, oh my husband. He does things like this for me:

Yesterday morning I told him I was a little weary and could really use an hour or so to just breathe. At 4pm I was sitting at the park watching the boys bound across the playground, wondering if I could bottle that energy and noting that the kids really do need haircuts when my phone rang. "Hey babe, I'm leaving work, coming to trade off with you. Just go get a coffee and do whatever you want. I'll take care of dinner and baths". Please re-read that. That is a golden phone call for a mother. 15 minutes later we high-fived at the park, I gave him a run-down of the boys day, switched keys, made sure he would truly survive. And then I got in his car, ALONE.

A coffee was in order and then I found myself on an empty beach. It was glorious. I walked and walked, watched the birds and the waves, thought about my life, my boys, our future daughter, my sweet and wonderful husband. To get those few hours alone meant everything to me. I came home feeling so refreshed, ready to get back on that momma train. It was exactly what I needed and I'm very thankful that I have a husband who sees and understands that.

What refreshes you? What do you need to lift your soul up when it's weary? One thing I've learned from motherhood is that you must find out what that is and then you must carve out time for it. You'll be a better mom, wife, friend and you for it.

Hope y'all are cruising through your week! I'm headed out on a run with the dog and the double stroller :) You should see the looks we get! We are quite the crew.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you posted this. I was having one of those hard days yesterday and it helped remind me even through the challenges (that I often don't think I can overcome) my children are God's most precious gift. And the next time I have a few free mommy hours, I think I nice quiet walk on the beach might be where I head to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to all that you put in this post!!! Even as I read the part with you looking at your kids playing at the park, I could feel the pain in my sore bones from months of wear and tare (and not enough "me time"). I blam myself for that...when my hubby offers to watch the kids while I take a break, my reflex is to always say "I'm alright" and then I'll have him complete some of the many tasks I have on my to do list. Chad would agree whole-heartedly with you when you said we are better wives, moms, and people when we give ourselves much-needed me time (paraphrasing here). I'm going to promise myself that I will learn to do that starting this weekend. Chad is going to love you for this! Thanks Ko!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I find myself frazzled, stressed or just plain exhausted I always find peace and comfort from the beach. I have a favorite beach and spot in the area and sometimes I feel like I can't get there fast enough. I find the sound of the waves and the smell of the ocean somehow permeates my soul and as the waves roll back into the ocean I can feel my worries washing away with them. The ocean is a great reminder to me of just how mighty my God is. I am so glad you got a few moments to breath and that you have a husband who recognizes the importance of these moments. I am so excited to get to know you and your family over these next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much ladies!! I don't normally get this wordy on my blog, I second guess my writing skills with every post! So to hear that this little post spoke to you, truly makes my day!

    ReplyDelete